“Establish prayer, give Zakah, and bow with those who bow (in worship and obedience). [Quran 2:43]
Prayer (Salah) is the second pillar of Islam which is obligatory for all Muslims. Several verses in the Quran depict the importance of praying to Allah (SWT) and the rewards of following His principle. Muslims should strive to pray at the correct times and never miss a prayer. However, you might miss prayers due to one reason or the other. It’s, however, advisable to make up the missed prayer before observing the following prayer for the day.
Prayer is partly responsible for the connection we feel with other Muslim brothers and sisters – the act of standing together to pray without considering race or color. Five prayer times exist (Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha). The position of the sun determines when you should observe these prayers.
But how do you know when the sun’s position changes? It’s a challenge as you might not know how to read the signs. Fortunately, there are applications for both Android and iOS users that show prayer times – according to your location. They give notification for Athan(call to prayer), which is among their other features. Here are the best 5 Athan apps for Android and iOS.
1. Muslim Pro
Muslim Pro is exceptionally popular on both Android and iPhone. The app has about 10 Million downloads on Google Play Store. Its fascinating features and the fact that it’s one of the best free Athan apps attract people to it. Moreover, it has a paid version where you’ll get more enticing features.
The app connects Muslims with their interests, goals, and aspirations. It’s an excellent tool for Muslims and Reverts to increase the knowledge and practice of the Deen.
Some of its features include:
- Accurate prayer times This changes whenever your location changes.
- Qibla (Prayer Direction) -Muslim Pro has a correct Qiblah compass that shows the direction of Mecca – which Muslims fade whenever they pray.
- Quran -Muslim Pro has a virtual Quran with translation, transliteration, and different translators. It gives you “Quranic Daily Verses,” which is an eye-opener to varying commands of Allah(SWT).
- Nearby Mosques and Halal Restaurant: Imagine taking a vacation to a city you’ve never been to, or you don’t know your way around it. As one of the best 5 Athan apps for Android and IOS, Muslim Pro will show you mosques around you and Halal restaurants where you can fill your tummy.
- Ads appearing in the Premium Version
- You may not get to use the premium version as it, sometimes, displays an Error Code during activation.
- Push-up Notifications- notifications you can’t turn off, e.g., Food for the soul
Athan is another best prayer times app for Android and iOS. It’s similar to Muslim Pro in the rate of downloads on Google Play Store and has fantastic features for its users. The Athan app contributes to your Islamic lifestyle. It holds the reins of guidance towards what you should do as a Muslim.
It shows accurate prayer times, including sunrise, Sahoor, and Iftar during Ramadan. Here are its other incredible features that make people love it.
- Dua & Dhikr: Dhikr is the remembrance of Allah(SWT), and this app performs the function well. It displays the short and long Dhikr you can use to remember Allah(SWT) while you do your daily activities.
- Islamic Calendar: The Islamic Calendar is quite different from the Gregorian calendar. The Athan app, thus, has the Islamic Calendar, which shows Islamic events like Laylatul-Qadr, the first day of Muharram, the Start of Ramadan, etc. It also shows the festival days like Eid-ul-Adha and Eid-Ul-Fitr.
- Hajj/Umrah Guide: Hajj(pilgrimage) is another pillar of Islam that Muslims endeavor to perform- if there have the means. Athan is one of the best prayer apps that have this feature. It guides you through the journey and encourages every step of your worship with Hajj and umrah Du’a.
- Too much advertisement in the Free version.
- Inconsistent prayer notification
3. Muslim Assistant
Are you looking for accurate Athan apps for both Android & iOS? Muslim Assistant is one of the best. As its name implies, that app assists you in becoming a better Muslim. No matter how much you know about Islam, you still need to fine-tune the knowledge now and then.
Muslim Assistant can be your guide, even if you’re a new Muslim. It has impressive features that work on Android phones and iPhones, with over 100,000 downloads on Google Play Store. Also, it indicates correct prayer times and Qiblah direction according to your location. Interestingly, Muslim Assistant has high ratings with few cons, which is an impressive feature of the app. Other features include:
- Tasbih counter: While making Dhikr, you’ll need a tasbih counter to keep track of the number of times you repeat a Dua. It’s a great tool to use, and it’ll even stimulate your interest in making Dhikr.
- Quran translation: Besides showing prayer times, you can also read the Quran on Muslim Assistant. The translation is available in English, and many people love it.
- Find mosques and holidays: Muslim Assistant assists you in locating mosques in your area if you change locations. Meanwhile, it shows the Islamic Holidays to help you prepare in advance.
- Too much advertisement in the application.
- The app, sometimes, shows irregular prayer times.
4. Al-moazin Lite
Here is another amazing Athan app for Android and iOS. Al-moazin Lite has over 10 Million downloads on Google Play Store and is rated 4.6 out of 5. It is highly rated when compared to other Athan apps, which is one of the reasons it’s on this list.
This unique Athan app has six different calculation methods- using conventions like the Islamic Society of North America, and Muslim World Leagues, amongst others. It has other characteristics like;
- Hijri Calendar the calendar tells the Islamic date, shows white days to fast, the Start of Ramadan, Eid-ul-Adha, Eid-Ul-Fitr, and Hijra.
- Qiblah Direction: The direction to face is a prerequisite during Salah. Muslims must face Mecca while praying, and that’s the Qiblah direction. Thus, you need to know the direction to face (North, South, West, or East) before you pray. Al-moazin Lite guides you in the right direction.
- Athan: The fascinating app has Athan, which is the call to prayer. In other words, Al-moazin Lite calls you to pray at the right time.
- No Quran feature
- No Dhikr and Dua
5. iPray: Prayer Times & Quran
iPray has over 500,000+ downloads on Google Play Store and is rated around 4.6 out 5. It works on Android and iPhone, increasing the users in Islamic knowledge. iPray tells accurate prayer times, and you have numerous athan sounds at your disposal.
Meanwhile, iPray doesn’t display ads, giving it an edge over other Athan apps. Some of its features include:
- Qiblah Compass – The Qiblah Compass shows the direction for Muslims to face during Salah.
- Monthly prayer timetable: iPray app has an updated monthly prayer times feature that will help you plan your schedules.
- The app often shows incorrect Islamic dates and events.
It’s incumbent on all Muslims to pray. However, several Muslims miss prayer times due to their daily activities or lack of reminders. Fortunately, we’ve compiled the best 5 Athan apps on iOS and Android. We carefully chose after much research, and you can be assured they’re the best apps that can call you to prayer.